Thursday, March 1, 2018

Different Points Of View

A few years back I used to work for an institution. Some incidents happened at the institution that annoyed me immensely. I called up the head of the institution, gave him a piece of my mind and told him I was leaving effective immediately. And asked him not to reach out to me. Ever.

A few days after the incident a good friend of mine berated me for having acted irresponsibly and said that I should have waited 2-3 months when the project, I was working on, would be completed. And that it was unacceptable to her that I had created a lot of problems for the organization by quitting in the middle (ok. fag end) of the project.

I gave a good thought to what she said. I then called up the head of the institution and told him he might be having difficulty because I had quit abruptly and that I could stay till end of the project 2 months away. Though my decision to quit was final, I told him I could work offline for two months, communicating only with him (and that none in the institution need know of my involvement) in order to assuage the situation. The gentleman told me he will consider the offer and revert. He didn't take up my offer. And that was the end of it. 
Until today.

I heard that the head recently told another employee about me and that I had wanted to stay on for three months and that he, the head, had put his foot down and had had me leave immediately.

That a single incident could be seen so differently by two people is fascinating. The remembering self sometimes stores a different version from what was experienced. 

What the gentleman did was no different from what Ajay Devgn did in the movie Drishyam telling people over and over that he and his family had not been in town on Oct 2nd and 3rd and that his family was in Panjim that weekend - so much so that his friends and acquaintances were willing to swear to his version of the story. Now Jeethu Joseph might have taken the gentleman, referred to in my story, to court for having stolen his theme (of asserting an untruth) but then he, Jeethu, himself is in trouble for having plagiarized a Korean movie''s story for Drishyam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...