Sunday, May 28, 2017

Orthopedic Songs

I had, in earlier posts, talked about horse songs, train, radio, phone songs, piano and dance songs.

This post is about people getting better while listening to songs, typically bhajans.

Two songs come to mind, both by Rafi.
The first song is Khushi Jis Ne Khoji Subah Na Aayi Shaam Na Aayi in the movie with the unimpressive name Cha Cha Cha (1964, MD: Iqbal Quereshi). The song features Helen in bed with a leg problem. She starts walking while listening to the song. Now Iqbal Querishi was one of few muslim MD's in the industry, other names that I remember being Ghulam Mohammad, Sardar Malik, Sajjad Hussein, Khayyam. But Rafi and Quershi take this song to such heights that it is eminently possible to imagine Helen getting better listening to it.

The next song is also a Rafi song. And most of us would have heard of Hari Om Man Tarpath Hari Darshan Ko Aaj in Raag Malkhauns in the movie Baiju Bawra (1952, MD: Naushad). Rafi's song enables an elderly gentleman to start walking. 

Both songs are so alike in the sense of their depth. I cannot just multitask while listening to these songs. They demand my full attention. I recommend watching, not just listening to, both songs. Maybe music will never be a substitute for orthopedic treatment in real life. But  these songs almost make us believe that it may just be possible.

We will not discuss songs such as the one featured on Nirupa Roy in Amar Akbar Anthony where she gets her eyesight back when Rishi Kapoor sings in a Sai Baba Mandir (Shirdi Waale Sai Baba by Rafi). I consider my post to be a temple and I hate to see it being sullied with such songs.

Additional reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...