Saturday, March 23, 2019

Bhagwad Gita And Mistakes

A friend was stressing a line from Bhagwad Gita - "Do your work, don't focus on results".

This is the only thing I know of Gita and I have thought a lot about it. While discussing with my friend we happened to be touch on ambition. And I told her that the Gita statement above contradicted the concept of ambition. She was not convinced nor at that time did I have a convincing explanation for my opinion.

Later we again touched base. This time she was mentioning that a person should not be afraid of taking action and if the action results in a problem then they should learn from the mistake and not make the same mistake. 

This time I was sure that she was violating the Gita. To learn from a mistake, you have to focus on the end result. If you didn't focus on the end result, you will just keep doing the same thing again and again. 

Ambition has a goal associated with it and
focuses on the end result. If the end result is not what we wanted we change what we do. Ask any entrepreneur.


This directly conflicts with Gita of not focusing on the result.

QED.

Here is an interesting example. HUD is charging Facebook with targeting ads instead of showing the same ads to all users. We target ads because showing ads to everyone isn't useful, some people make better potential customers. How do we know that? We targeted ads at various people and looked at the results. Oh my, but we aren't supposed to look at results, we are only to target ads (at everyone).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/03/28/hud-charges-facebook-with-housing-discrimination/

Does this mean Bhagwad Gita (that one statement) is wrong? I don't think so. It's aimed at an average person, not ambitious, not an entrepreneur. "Qaabil bano, kaamyaabi apne aap aa jaayegi" from the movie 3 Idiots echoes Gita's sentiment.

The interesting thing was that kinda not able to explain to my friend why I intuitively felt that ambition and Gita couldn't coexist. But when she said that we ought to learn from our mistakes, the reasoning became obvious to me.

Additional Reading
https://vbala99.blogspot.com/2019/03/epporul-yaaryaar-vaai-ketpunum.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...