Monday, March 26, 2012

Raha Gardishon Mein Hardum

I recently stumbled upon this song.

The song is from the movie Do Badan starring Manoj Kumar, Asha Parekh and Simi Garewal. It is one of those rare songs which Rafi sang for Manoj Kumar. 

Each time I listen to it, I find a lump in my throat and I want to understand what the hero is saying. So I started with the word "Gardish" and found its meaning here. And then the words "Yeh hamari badnaseebi jo nahi tho aur kya hai. Ke usi ke ho gaye hum, jo ho na saka hamara - "this is my misfortune; if not that what else is it? That I belong to that person who could not be mine".

Such is the power of the music director Ravi and Rafi's glorious voice, so sad and melodious is the tune that, for the first time in my life, I am forced me to listen to the words of Shakeel Badayuni and look for their meaning.

Amazing song.

A friend of mine pointed me to the translation of the lyrics of this song (look for one by pakpride007 on Monday, December 06, 2010). Of all the translations I found this was the best. This person has provided the gist of the song in English without trying to translate word by word. There is another translation here.

Another beautiful song by Ravi is Chalo Ek Baar Phir Se. (the link has a translation).

Updated on 31 Mar 2017: And a few days back, I heard this mesmerizing song Na Kisi Ki Aankh Ka Noor Hoon sung by Rafi in the movie Laal Quila (1960, MDL SN Tripath). An interesting titbit about the song is here. http://www.business-standard.com/article/beyond-business/the-debate-around-the-ghazal-na-kisi-ki-aankh-ka-noor-hoon-115091801302_1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...