Saturday, May 28, 2016

Cloud And The Heart

I was explaining to someone what cloud storage was. I used a metaphor. I said, let's say we have our cupboard full of our things - dresses, books etc. I cannot use those when I am in some other place because they remain in that cupboard in our house. What if, by magic, we could store that cupboard out there where it's safe and still outs and be able to access from anywhere in the world?

Even if we go to America we could access the stuff in our cupboard. The cupboard is still ours except it's not in our house. It's out there in the cloud. The stuff has to be uploaded to  the cloud once and retrieved from wherever we are. Of course courier charges apply to send it and retrieve it (that's the amount charged for data by your ISP). There are storage charges (companies charge us some amount per month or year for any storage beyond the free limit) as well.

And then I went back to the mythological stories I had read in my childhood days. Where a king's heart is stored external to him in some special place and he couldn't be killed unless someone could destroy that secret place (may be a tree). Well imagine storing your heart in the "cloud". And this was thousands of years ago. We have now only evolved to keeping electronic files "out there". 

Additional reading:
A friend sent me this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1085035504886112&set=p.1085035504886112&type=3 (It is about culture but I  recommend that you don't watch it if you a puritan. My friend isn't one.) Read also the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...