Saturday, December 3, 2022

Schadenfreude

 


This is from Psychos in the C-Suite. I was discussing this article, specifically the highlighted portion with a friend.


Friend: This is interesting. According to this, having a conscience can still lead to wrong judgements. I thought having a conscience makes you do the right things. I equated conscience with righteousness until now. Clearly not. Following on from this, did Krishna have a conscience when he persuaded the Pandavas to wage war against the Kauravas? Furthermore, he played a lot of tricks to help the Pandavas win the war against evil.This would suggest Krishna had a "lesser conscience". The article says we have to form a conscience from "God's" values. But if Lord Krishna himself had a "different or lesser conscience", what do we do?All rather complicated I'm afraid. Is schadenfreude wrong or a bad thing if it is purely because someone else is paying for the wrongdoings he or she has done? I would say schadenfreude is neither good or bad. Just that evil people have to reap the consequences of their actions.


Me: Well I don't disagree with you. Sorry for the double negative. Schadenfreude has 2 different aspects

1. To enjoy seeing someone suffer. This sounds awful

2. To enjoy seeing someone reaping what they sowed. This might seem more positive.


While I love to think that the two are distinctly different, I am not sure the distinction between the two is entirely unambiguous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...