Monday, August 30, 2010

Love, Respect, Trust In Relationships

Recently I have been thinking about Love, Respect and Trust in relationships. What is the difference between the three? For whom do we feel each of the three? Are these independent emotions meaning, for example, can you feel love without respect? If yes, how do we behave with a person for whom we have affection but no respect (or respect only but with no trust)? What causes or is indicative of a decaying relationship? Is it the absence of love or of respect or of trust or all three?

I found a few links which interested me. 

http://life.familyeducation.com/divorce/divorce-counseling/45517.html
http://talkaboutmarriage.com/ladies-lounge/1195-do-women-really-want-what-they-want.html

A few months back I read a book by Malcomlm Gladwell called Blink which outlines how we come to make certain decisions at the blink of an eye. The book explains a research which studies the facial expressions of two spouses by recording their facial expressions (when they are asked to discuss just about anything they feel like) and then analyzing the expressions and "thin slicing" them. The research apparently is 99% accurate in predicting the success or failure of a marriage just by analyzing the 15 minute video of the facial expressions while two spouses are talking. A good description is given in the link below and a sample video.
http://www.youtube.com/v/p4XSUfb0Ito&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

This is another link which is good. http://blarblog.blogspot.com/2005/04/blink-ii.html
Comments welcome (anonymity will be protected). 
A friend did point out that I have not been focused in this blog on relationships. And that I have covered a lot of ground. Well, yes I may have done that. I have to explain one thing here about my blog. An important audience for my blog is me. Sometimes I do provide links to other sources rather than express my opinion about it. This is because I found the link interesting, I may revisit the link again later and perhaps modify my blog or write another entry. 
Another friend pointed out that I had missed out Trust which was an important factor. I subsequently corrected the blog to include trust.

1 comment:

  1. I will put the 3 in simple definition:- Love for equals eg friend, spouse/partner Respect for elders eg parents, teachers, boss Affection for youngers eg kids, animals maybe.. On a lighter note.. to answer your question Can we feel love without respect? YES, I respect and Hate you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...