Sunday, January 15, 2017

Recipe: Making Ghee From Home Made Butter

Making Ghee From Home Made Butter:
This consists of a few distinct steps (this is for buffalo milk - I don't think it's much different for cow milk). The steps (bullet points) are in reverse order.
  1. Heating the butter in a kadai for about 20 minutes with constant stirring until you get ghee: I take the butter out from the freezer. It will be frozen. Wash it in tap water (hopefully it removes  any remnants of buttermilk). Then transfer the butter to a kadai and heat it. The butter color will change from white to yellow to green to brown and then froth.. Then you switch off the gas and let the ghee cool down (filter out the kashandu - dark brown or black solid stuff and, well, eat it) and store the liquid ghee in the fridge. I get about 1 liter ghee per 45 liters of buffalo milk. The milk is from a milkman (not Aavin). This works out to about 2% ghee to milk ratio. I have friends who get almost double of what I get.. That (getting 3%), I think is true expertise.
  2. Taking butter out from aadai (or malaai): I make butter every alternate day. I take the aadai out from the fridge, pour it into a tall vessel and add a glass of water and let it almost come to room temperature. Then I use a hand mixie on the tall vessel containing the aadai for about 7 to 8 minutes. Then I switch off electricity and slowly move the hand mixie in a circular fashion for about a minute so that the butter coagulates. Switch electricity on for 2 to 3 more minutes and then off and rotate the hand mixie again. Now butter should have formed. I use my palm to scoop off the butter and store it in a box. I would then add another glass of water and repeat the hand mixie stirring process once again and get a little more butter out, which I again transfer to the box. You can drink the remaining butter milk. I put the box containing the butter in the freezer. I collect butter 3 times over a period of 7 days (once every 2 days) before making ghee.
  3. Taking cream (aadai) from milk and yoghurt: Boil the milk. Use it for coffee etc, if you have to, making sure that you don't pour out aadai along with the milk. Boil it once again. Let the milk cool down and then store the milk in the fridge. Take it out from the fridge, take out the aadai and store the aadai in a separate container. When you make curd from the milk, transfer the top layer of the curd using a spoon into the aadai container. Essentially, the aadai comes from both milk and from curd. I collect aadai for 2 days before going to the next step of getting butter. The fresh aadai taken from the milk has to spend a few hours outside at room temperature before being moved to the fridge.

Here are photos for step 2, the most critical step:
Aadai transferred to tall vessel and ready to make butter with hand mixie


Stirring with Hand Mixie

You can see butter

Butter to be taken out

Transferring butter

Bottom left is buttermilk: the rectangular box has butter, Conical vessel with a white spoonin the center has ghee, the vessel to the right of ghee with a spatula has curd, to the north of curd is milk. - They aren't in any particular order.
Aadai collected from milk and curd:
Aadai Collected from milk and curd - 



Making Ghee from butter: 
Yellow a few minutes after I start heating


Getting Green




Towards the end: Brown


At the end: ghee almost made


After it's all over:Kashandu at the bottom. With the filter and wooden spatula.


Making cooking ghee:
Buy cooking butter (unsalted) and heat it and stir it to make ghee. Store  it  in a vessel.



Additional Reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...