Friday, June 29, 2018

Nadappathu Narayanan Cheyal

Earlier today an elderly gentleman called me up and told me he wanted to pay me a courtesy visit. I said "Sure, let's meet in the park 100 feet away from my house."

I told a friend about this meeting and expressed my apprehension that the gentleman would talk about what his children are doing, where he worked, enquire about my family - lot of what's and no iota of any why - absolutely not show capacity for abstract thinking. My friend smirked at me - indicating she thought I was too negative. And. I truly had never spoken with the gentleman earlier nor had heard of him before.

We, the gentleman and I, met at around 5PM. He is an extrovert and talked non-stop. Apart from what I had earlier predicted, he also mentioned about a serious accident he had met with and quoted umpteen proverbs and mentioned many cliches.

"Nadappathu Narayanan Cheyal" was the last proverb he quoted. Meaning even that we walk (or that whatever happens) is an act of God. I asked him "which act then is ours?" trying to provoke a discussion on freewill.
He beat a hasty retreat and said goodbye and left.

I wish I had been wrong in my guess about how the conversation would go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...