Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Survival Vs Morality

I had occasion yesterday to talk to a friend. We were discussing a recent action of mine. 

He told me strongly that my action was incorrect and defended my action equally strongly.

After few minutes of our "bickering" back and forth it dawned on me that I saw my action from the point of view of whether it was (morally / logically) right or wrong.

My friend, on the other hand, was talking about whether my action was right or wrong from the point of view of survival - whether politically right or wrong.

And obviously we were both right from our respective points of view. Once I realized the meaning of "right, wrong" that each of us employed was different it ceased to be an issue.

The issue then becomes one of whether logically right or politically right - which is more important. And that becomes more of a philosophical discussion which can be discussed, argued, debated without hurting one another.

This realization is rather trivial. Hardly earth shaking.
But, to me, it was shocking. How many other inter personal issues could be handled much easier if only I understood the other person's point of view or standards. 

Right or wrong? Seems like a simple enough question with only a single (correct) answer. 
Is it?

Incidentally my friend consciously packages information based on who the audience is, very focused on survival (politically correct), believes that looking to be doing good is more important than actually doing good which none knows. While he is very logical, he also has substantially higher interest in breadth in subjects than in depth.
IN (as in MBTI) definitely. P ? Or F?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...