Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Different Point Of View - Returns

I had earlier mentioned about different points of view regarding the same incident http://vbala99.blogspot.com/2018/03/different-points-of-view.html

Here is one more episode.
A few days back I met a friend who handles the legal function of a non profit organization (NPO). She told me that the said organization had not been filing income tax (IT) returns, that they had only been circulating an auditor's audited copy to stake holders. 

And that her auditor had recommended that the NPO ought to file returns. When I asked her then why the NPO had not filed IT returns, she had no idea why the previous head of Finance / Legal hadn't done it and that she had only recently taken over. A mutual friend, who himself is a Chartered Accountant, confirmed that the right thing to do was to file the returns.

Today when I spoke with her and asked her whether she was going to file the ITR, she said it was upto the stakeholders of the NPO to decide  whether to file or not to file. 

When I asked her what the right thing to do was, she told me that she has to get a consensus and that her auditor had in fact asked her to get a consensus / decision from the stakeholders as to whether to file IT returns or just circulate an audited copy of the accounts. I inferred that the issue in front of her now was not one of what the right thing to do was but to do what the consensus wanted. Which was very different from what she conveyed to me few days back - a complaint about the state of affairs in the NPO.

And finally she explained to me that she had said all this to me during our previous conversation. 

Jai Ho.

I am planning to record all conversations hereafter. 

Additional Reading:
Trump Reverses Tack on Russian Meddling https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-reverses-tack-on-election-meddling-1531869255: Did Russia meddle or not? It depends on which answer is more useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...