Saturday, March 6, 2021

Male And Female Response

A friend of mine teaches art to children. The youngest of her students is 5 years old, a girl - Aadya. Another of her students is a boy, 6 years old - Udit.

My friend told me that Aadya always wears pants or shorts and rarely wears skirts or frocks - the child's reason being that her dresses have become too tight. And Aadya's parents and grandparents affectionately call her Aadu. And my friend also told me that Aadya hates to be called Aadu by anyone else. 

Hearing all this, my hands were itching. I had to do something.

I am a connoisseur of art and a fairly accomplished painter.  So I sat down and made a sketch of Aadu.



She is wearing a skirt and her name is there below the sketch I drew of her. My friend showed Aadu this sketch and said that a friend had drawn this. 

Aadu apparently blushed and smiled cutely and asked her teacher, my friend, to thank me. She didn't seem annoyed that I had referred to her as Aadu.

Next I drew a portrait of 6 year old Udit. My friend showed Udit this picture below.

Udit responded that the picture didn't look like him. His hair and teeth were missing and so were his spectacles, he pointed out to his teacher. He wasn't impressed with my efforts.


I wondered.  How different the two models' responses were.

Aadu's response was feminine. She liked the fact that I took the trouble of drawing her and called her Aadu. She was touched.

Udit judged my drawing the male way. That it was terrible and had no likeness to him.

Female and male responses are so different even at this age. What is relevant here? The quality of the sketch in isolation? Or the fact that someone took the trouble to draw you? 

I can proudly say that I am 100% male. My response would be exactly the same as 6 year old Udit's.


Additional reading:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eDoICtGSWVkmRIKuGc9yJb-k2WUzAPTJ/view?usp=drivesdk



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...