Thursday, March 25, 2021

One Year Of Covid

It's been a year since we have had this pernicious virus in our lives. At the end of the year, since last March when India was locked down, I wanted to see what I had done - a kind of self appraisal. A friend of mine asked me this question: what was I upto. And I couldn't give him any answer, I was blank.


I discussed this with another friend and she helped me put things in perspective. I take care of my elderly mother with a maid and a nurse. Household chores including cooking, getting groceries, getting medical supplies including diapers were difficult in the months of April and May 2000. We were just getting acquainted with "social distancing", shops were open only for a few hours each day, Amazon wasn't delivering.


My friend helped me realise that I had managed my 2 households fairly well never running out of stocks (well I did almost run out of shorts for myself but then another friend helped me in the nick of time), never missing salary payments to my household help.


Then I helped a friend prepare for her MRCS exam - the exam, conducted by UK, tests proficiency in candidate's knowledge of surgery. My friend passed the test in her first attempt. 


My mother had had her wrist fractured last year and I had to figure out whether to go for surgery in the middle of Covid or resort to plaster of paris. Half the orthopaedic surgeons suggested the former, half the latter. I got my mother through this predicament and her fracture is now healed (thanks specially to my surgeon friend and another neighbour who is an orthopaedic surgeon).


I managed these in times when people were getting infected, hospitalized around me and when couple of relatives died. 


And I made some money along the way despite not having a job, despite having plenty of expenditure each month.


Looking back, I see that it wasn't a bad performance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...