Friday, October 22, 2010

Vetham Puthithu

I saw this movie today after a long time. Instead of writing my own review of the movie I picked a review which is fairly nice and accurate. http://iblogsak.blogspot.com/2009/04/vedham-pudhidhu.html. The character played by Satyaraj is very nice. While the movie is said to talk about the social divide in Tamil Nadu, what I found nice was the segregation of religion from values. Unfortunately in India, the two are considered synonymous. Bharathiraja, the director of the movie, brings out the distinction very nicely between the two through the role of Satyaraj.

The movie brings out the differences between the Brahmin and the Thevar community in the way they speak Tamil differently and their different food habits. It's fun watching the two communities interact. The movie goes on to show that sense and values do not necessarily go hand in hand with theism.

The movie is a must watch. 

Incidentally a friend of mine was talking to me about "Real Men" and complained that it's so very difficult to find such men these days. And then we started defining a "real man". Well I would perhaps venture to say that the character played by Satyaraj is a "real man".

Here is the link to the movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkZjte93qRM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...