Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Corruption Of Music

In an earlier blog (http://vbala99.blogspot.com/2010/12/old-indian-movies-songs-and-actors.html?showComment=1314263701640#c5213736150309489461) I had mentioned that the quality of music in Indian cinema has been steadily going down.

I wanted to go into more detail on that aspect in this post.

Today I heard the song "Rote Rote Hasnaa Seekho" sung by Kishore in the 1983 movie Andha Kaanoon. The music is set by Laxmikant Pyarelal (LP). The music made me shudder in horror. I thought I will choose a few other songs by the same music directors that I liked.

Na Tu Zameen Ke Liye from Daastan (Rafi, 1972), Mere Dil Mein Aaj Kya Hai from Daag (Kishore, 1973), Tum Bin Jeevan Kaisa Beeta from Anita (Mukesh, 1967), Tere Pyaar Ne Mujhe Gum from Chhaila Babu (Rafi, 1967), Chaahoonga Mein Tujhe from Dosti (Rafi, 1964), Dhal Gaya Din Ho Gayi from Humjoli (Rafi and Asha, 1971).

I liked these songs of LP much more than Rote Rote Hasna Seekho which seemed so pedestrian. The song sounds as though Kishore was talking, rather than singing a melodious song.

I guess the same thing has happened with other directors. The taste of the common man also changed at the same time. Now, did the listener's taste cause the music directors to change course or did the music directors drive the change? 

My guess is that the music directors drove the change, they tried out different things. And focused more on what "sold" more. We the audience wanted to change with the times and move towards was "hip". And this tango never ended. Good music seems to have come to an end by late 1960's and early 1970's. It's rare that I hear a recent song from Hindi or Tamil that I tend to like or remember later and hum.

And a (very young) friend of mine feels old people are quite inflexible in their likes unlike youngsters who are open to good stuff no matter where (and which era) they are from.

Are we supposed to have exacting standards in life or be more accepting?

Gulp.

1 comment:

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...