Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Family, Marriage in Philippines : Winner Takes It All, Loser Standing Small

A friend was explaining to me about family, marriage in Philippines. What I heard was fascinating. So I started to read more about it.

I came to know that Filipinos are largely Catholic, that a marriage between a Filipina woman and a foreigner (foreign man from any country, preferably USA) is very desirable. That parents would prefer that daughters to marry a rich man and emigrate, that foreign men come shopping for wives to Philippines (and girls from Cebu are the "best") and so on. I even read an article listing the do's and don'ts of wife shopping written by an American.

Apparently Filipina women are very sweet looking and make a lovely wife; this is the brand recall. And hence they are sought after. And it is a developing country, not very rich. Filipinas have a tradition of wanting to emigrate and marrying a foreigner is quite common. Hence foreigners come "shopping".

Apparently infidelity in marriage is very common. A woman's role is to be a mom and take care of the home and children and perhaps she doesn't have time or the energy to enthuse the husband. This extra bit of fun is provided to the husband by younger women, for a price.

I asked a friend about it. Why would young women want to be a mistress of an older married man, when they could marry a younger man. She said something that made my jaw drop. That women prefer to be with an older/dashing/rich man with status than be a wife of a poor nobody. 

So the (stronger) alpha male gets to have multiple women. And the (weaker) Beta / Gamma males get to suck their thumbs. To quote ABBA, "The Winner Takes It All".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...