Thursday, March 3, 2011

How Old Is Grandma - Paalangal

I came across this (http://www.cyberlegends.net/howold.htm) today. And I thought how many things have changed in such a short time.

I am reminded of one of the best social novels that I have read, this one in Tamil called "Paalangal" (noun: means "bridges") by the renowned writer Sivasankari. The novel is actually about three different families, unrelated to each other in three different generations. The author tracks the events of each of each story (a typical middle class Tamil Brahmin family) through one generation. 

The details that she provides about the family of the 1930's is amazing. It's almost like reading Frederick Forsyth's "Day of the Jackal" - such is the attention to details.

Through the events of each sub story, she describes how the customs change with each generation. She brings out the contrast between the family of the 1930's to the one of the the 50's and the one of the 70's (and briefly also "predicts" how the the family of the 90's would be. This novel was written before 1990!!).

When I read the link above it took me back to the "Paalangal". Of course Paalangal is not just about the events of three generations but it's about the role of a woman in a family. And how she remains the bridge (and thus the title of the book) between her conservative parents in law and her children (daughter). She shows how the same woman who as a girl was so irresponsible and cantankerous mellows into a responsible, mature woman who now becomes the "paalam" her daughter and her mother-in-law after marriage and birth of her children.

And this role of the woman has not changed much across the generation as per the author. Though I am not sure whether that conclusion is still applicable today.

Nevertheless Paalangal by Sivasankari
(http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/lr/2002/04/07/stories/2002040700260500.htm) continues to be my favorite Tamil novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...