Thursday, January 17, 2019

My Husband

After talking to hundreds of Indian women, I had observed one interesting thing. Not one of them had ever said something like "my family is in this great shape only because of my husband's dedication and contribution." Not once. 
This observation should be seen in light of few other observations.
  1. Many women have acknowledged the extraordinary contribution by their father or son (never about husband). This makes me wonder how that father who seemed to have contributed so much from the daughter's point of view seems to have failed from his wife's point of view.
  2. Many women arrogate to themselves the extraordinary contribution they themselves have made to their family


So when I came across this quote today I was pleasantly surprised. 
"After her son’s record-making feat, Padma praised her husband for devoting “365 days a year for Gukesh’s chess”. She said: “He sacrificed his career for Gukesh and remains his pillar of support. For the past five years, he has spent all his time planning every tournament for Gukesh, booking his tickets and room. He only thinks of Gukesh’s chess. So the whole credit should go to my husband.”" 

Do I congratulate or praise the wife? Oh no. Not at all. That would seem condescending.
I was and still am curious about why wives never see their husband's contribution. If daughters and mothers also never spoke anything positive about their fathers or sons then I might have concluded that (a) women are weird and hate acknowledging men or (b) men truly don't make any contributions on the family front.

But I have seen only wives not say it. That's the reason for my intrigue. 

If you are or have been a wife take a few seconds to reflect. Do you recall ever acknowledging to me (ok, that's too much. Disregard the words "to me") the contribution your husband made. I mean an acknowledgement that came from deep within your heart. 

For, the first time (chess GM Gukesh's mother) Ms. Padma...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...