Saturday, December 21, 2019

Rekha And Munna

I was discussing with a friend the film characters of Rekha in Khubsoorat and of Sanjay Dutt in Munna Bhai MBBS. After watching both the movies (I watched the 2nd one 2 decades after watching the first one), my initial reaction towards both the characters was positive and I felt more negative about Rekha's (future) mother in law in the movie and about Sanjay Dutt's (future) father in law in Munna Bhai.

Both the parents in law were J (as in MBTI) characters, rigid, insisting that things only be done one way, seemed as though they had piles, their lives full of Must, Should etc. Rekha and Munna, on the other hand, were P (as in MBTI) cheerful, flexible, nice to be with be, easygoing etc. Rekha was seen by her MIL as a person not disciplined enough and hence unfit to be her daughter in law. Munna was seen by his father in law as a person who was totally unfit to be his son in law because Munna was a gangster and uneducated unlike the father in law and the heroine who were both doctors. 

And the way Rekha took care of Ashok Kumar, her future father in law, when he had a heart attack and when she was alone with him and the way Munna created happiness in the patients (Jimmy Shergill) and brought life back to the Bengali person in coma (Anand) seemed to belie the poor opinions of their respective parents in law.

When we finished watching the movie we were left with the belief that Rekha and Munna were dependable and good people, perhaps much better than their respective uptight parents in law.

Now here comes the interesting part. 

Think back to the movie characters Rekha and Munna. Do we want our spouses or friends or daughter/son in law to be available in those rate instances when there is a crisis and generally unavailable most of the time for doing anything useful? Do we need Munna's "jaadu ki jhappi" more than his father in law's medical skills? Are we right in assuming that J people are unavailable or incapable of handling emergencies?
Sure I cannot imagine Boman Irani (Munna's FIL) solving problems through EQ. Has EQ become so much important than hard skills? Where will mankind be if all people had high EQ and no hard skills (or hard skills that only rarely emerged as in the case of Rekha)? 


I realized that I have a tendency to get conned by elegant communication as in the case of the two movies mentioned above. I need to be more careful. If I were an elderly lady lying in my death bed, would I be comfortable leaving my family in the hands of a Rekha? Or would I prefer someone like her MIL or like Mrs Soumitra in Bela Sheshe?

Is this the kind of of high EQ and mostly no hard skills or rarely exhibited hard skills that I should be clapping or clamoring for? How did we start allowing EQ to triumph discipline and dependability?

Note:
Indirectly I am equating P with EQ and J with its absence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...