Saturday, June 13, 2020

The Lizard Of Oz

A friend of mine works in a call center. One night she was doing the graveyard shift (8PM to 8AM next morning). And it so happened that she was alone in her wing, not another soul in sight. 

When she wasn't attending to a customer she was in the habit of studying for her exam. Midway through the night she needed a cup of tea. She had all the ingredients, she just needed to microwave. 

And THERE was the problem. The room where the microwave was kept was also home to a huge, wild, plump, almost bordering on obese, juicy lizard weighing an obscene 120gm and almost 6inches long.

My friend, let no man ever accuse her of cowardice, was not at her best confronting even a tiny starving lizard. 

The lizard that was domiciled in that room came from a family of healthy eaters that wasn't used to dieting or any form of exercise. 

My friend had to have that cup of tea. And in order to have it she had to get to the microwave and she had to risk getting near the monster. 

In tears at 12:05 AM she rang me up long distance. And between her whimpers she explained her predicament. 


She told me she didn't want me to do anything but just be with her while she dealt with her nemesis.

I said fine. 

She got the tea, sugar, cup etc out and had the sugar washed, then she realized that it was the cup, not sugar, that needed washing. 

With trembing hands she washed the cup and poured 200ml milk, water and sugar into the cup and then mopped 100ml of the mixture on the floor that had spilled because she couldn't hold the cup steady. Her teeth were chattering so loudly she couldn't hear herself talk. 

With my encouraging words, she tiptoed to the door gently opened the door an inch and said softly "HELLO, ARE YOU THERE? I AM COMING OUT. I PROMISE NOT TO HARM YOU IF YOU PROMISE TO DO LIKEWISE. PLEASE GO AWAY FOR 5  MINUTES" 

It took me a few seconds to realize that she was negotiating with the lizard which she thought would hear what she was saying and rightly interpret it as a white flag and be gentleman enough to treat my friend as an esteemed guest.

And so it did. In 2 minutes, my friend was back with a hot cup while i watched in amazement. 

If any of you is in any doubt as to why Kashmir is not yet Azad, I think you would have understood by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Trump's Election Interference

I can think anything that may not be true. And I can say untruths because I have a right to freedom of speech. Based on that thought and wor...